Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Native Accents

I'm a Boston native. I'm so native, in fact, that I haven't moved away from my hometown. I didn't even move when I was in college - I commuted to the next town. I'm so native that Hubby is born and raised from one town over.

Needless to say, I should sound like I'm an extra in Good Will Hunting. But I don't. After years of working in telephone customer service, I've managed to tone down the accent so when I say Waltham (pronounced correctly as Wall-tham), the person on the other end isn't confused (by a mispronunciation of Walthum.)

Some people think that pahking the cah in Hahvahd Yahd is the sound of the uneducated, which I don't understand, but whatever. I'm not going to rant about the preconceptions that accents generate because it's pointless and we all do it.

However.

Why does this quiz tell me I'm not from Boston?

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North
 
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?"  Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
The Northeast
 
Philadelphia
 
The Midland
 
The South
 
North Central
 
Boston
 
The West
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

12 comments:

  1. Really??? My result, no surprise, is Boston. And I don't have a thick accent.

    What American accent do you have?
    Your Result: Boston
    You definitely have a Boston accent, even if you think you don't. Of course, that doesn't mean you are from the Boston area, you may also be from New Hampshire or Maine.
    Result Breakdown:
    88% Boston
    73% North Central
    65% The West
    55% The Midland
    33% The Northeast
    27% Philadelphia
    19% The Inland North
    0% The South
    Quiz URL: http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

    ReplyDelete
  2. I scored a Boston, despite the fact that I've been mistaken for English, Southern, and damn near everything else.

    Good to know the native soil still can show through all the outside influences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well how about that.


    What American accent do you have?
    Your Result: The Midland
    "You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not surprising, I got "Midland" as in, I have no accent. And I don't LOL

    Alicia and D-- you both have thick accents ;)

    Lisa (W, I am assuming) you have one too ;)

    But me... nope, I don't have one at all. I should be in movies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia--I got the same results as you, and I grew up around Philly. I have no accent. (So I think) My husband sometimes has a Boston accent. I'm hoping that our four year old will start learning to say some Rs sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay. Explain this one - Mike took the quiz and it thinks he's from Fargo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and Mir, my accent isn't that thick. I've used an "r" before. Once or twice. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I retook the quiz and now it's saying I have a Midland accent.
    Result Breakdown:
    85% The Midland
    76% The West
    63% Boston
    50% The South
    40% Philadelphia
    39% North Central
    33% The Northeast
    26% The Inland North

    So I'm still not from Boston.

    I'm thinking that a few of us (Heather, me, Mike, Lisa) might be hearing the words differently in our head.

    What do you all think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the test is flawed. What they really need is some sort of voice recognition software that can more accurately place your accent. Or, maybe you can try the test again and say the words aloud?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Voice recognition would be great, if this was a scientific test. Or maybe we say the words and someone else answers the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about that - I have a midland accent. Maybe growing up 20 miles west of Boston & mom being from Kansas and dad Florida kept Boston out of me - I only said "wicked pissah" once, maybe age 8, & I got in big trouble.

    I know you guys have been snow slammed - but, now on the west coast, I wicked miss the white.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robert - I've said "wicked" and "wicked pissed," but never "wicked pissah."

    Fortunately, we haven't gotten the slamming that Maryland's gotten. Is it mean that I want to keep it that way?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails