On Valentine's Day and Red Roses





Before my full-time temp job, I worked part-time at a local florist. I had gotten the job because I knew how to turn on a monitor.

I started working shortly after my honeymoon and would still be there if it wasn't for our suck-ass economy. I learned enough in 18 months to become a junior designer - a feat that would be much more impressive if there were more than me, the owner, and her dog.

The job was great. My days were short enough that I could get writing or laundry done in the morning without waking up too early. The dress code was casual - as long as it wasn't offensive, I could wear it. More than half of the year was spent in velour pants just because. My boss, even though a flake, was fun to work with.

It sucked when it was the holiday season because the tempo of the store went into triple-manic mode. My boss didn't handle stress well and her brain would shut down. This mean miscommunication would hit hard; we would spend most of Christmas Eve and Valentine's Day yelling at each other.



Which brings me to state the obvious: today is the start of Valentine's Day weekend, and I've been asked back to join in the floralizing festivities. (Floralizing = money. Alicia = not stupid.)

For the record, I hate loathe Valentine's Day. When I was single, my reasoning was because I had no one while the bulk of my friends were coupled off. I would wear black and change my desktop to show cupid shot in the back. I'd rant over the lameness of the holiday. While happily married, I still think the greeting card holiday is lame. Why do you need a specific day to let your significant other know how you feel?

Newsflash: you should let your loved ones know they're appreciated and loved every day. If you can't seem to do that, then please do it at least on a random day.

And why must it be red roses?

I know what you're saying, "But red roses signify luuurrve!" What it's really saying is that you're an asshole who can't think beyond a cliche.

The week leading into Valentine's Day last year we could barely move on the showroom floor because of all the roses. It was a field of red, very much like Can'-Ka No Rey.

When it comes to roses, I'm a fan of bicolor ones myself, even though I have worked with some pretty pale greens before. And for flowers, gerbera daisies are my favorite. There are so many types of flowers out there, that it's a shame to just "go" with roses. The same goes with colors. The principle of ROY G BIV applies to flora.

I should stop right now and make it clear that I don't have a problem with roses, the color red, or red roses. If you're one of those people who truly love red roses because the hue resonates deeply with you, that's great. If red roses remind you of your first time with that special person, again, great. If you love them because that's what you think you should do, please read three paragraphs up again.

I'm beginning to think I'm not the only one who thinks Valentine's Day is bullshit. Miranda said she didn't like it in yesterday's Zombie Thursday. What are your thoughts?