Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How Do You Find the Time?

More than once this year I've said, "There needs to be 4 more hours in the day." I think it's a valid statement.

Lately there isn't enough time to get everything done. The 9-5 job has priorities on top of priorities and even those shove out more priorities. When I'm not at work, I have to decide what to focus on: querying, editing, writing, reading, exercising, blah blah , bitch, whine, moan.

Basically, life has exploded. Predictably, like this:

Credit


I know I'm not the only one who has been feeling a push-back and I know there are people out in The Lurkdom who have a hell of a lot more on their plate than I do*. Not to mention, it's November, which usually signals the start of craziness for everyone on this side of the globe.

Because of this, I've been thinking a lot about time management, or more specifically, my lack of it. There should be a formula to help prioritize because that's harder to do than it looks. Our brains should be hard-wired with an automatic "no" response, when our plates our too full. And, of course, there should be 4 more hours in the day for sleep.

So Lurkdom, tell me...

How do you make time for everything you need to do?


* But it's my blog, so there.

_______
Last.fm hit of the day: Darkness, Tell Me by Calabrese

4 comments:

  1. Short answer: Not very effectively.

    Long answer: My productivity goes through the roof when I have only a measly begged and borrowed for few writing hours per week. I go somewhere without internet and write /revise like crazy.

    Unfortunately, this only gets to happen once a week or so....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't sleep very much. And I use every single spare moment to my advantage.

    Seriously. I'm gone from my house for over 12 hours every work day. Once I get home it's all about the little guy until he's asleep, which is when I finally get time to really work on *my* stuff.

    It just takes determination, and honestly a lot of love for the writing you're doing, so you don't feel bad about what you're giving up to do it.

    Okay, that was really long. Sorry. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imbibe lots of caffeine.

    Make lists.

    Lose the lists.

    Try to get by without neglecting anyone/anything too much. :\

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quita and I just blogged about this, as well. :) I multitask--I try to write the same time one of my fave TV shows is on. Yes, I know I should eliminate TV all together, but then how would I know who won America's Next Top Model??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails