Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Truncated Memoir

Every Wednesday, YA Highway asks their readership a simple question to answer on your blog. Once you answer, you link your blog in the comments for other readers to hop on board. This is Road Trip Wednesday.


Today's question: Write your six-word memoir.

I'm beginning to think the girls over at YA Highway might be sadists because this topic haunted me all night. How can you distill your life down to six meaningful words? The trick is to distill a chapter of your life that way. Still hard, but a wee bit more manageable.

Take The White One for example:
Covered in oil, rescued by love.

For those who don't know, the shelter we adopted Lucky from had found him covered in oil in a courthouse parking lot. Hubby fell in love with him as soon as we saw him.

Again, I have to think about those evil six words for me this time. After some thought, I finally got it figured it out.

A bored brain creates great things*.

What would your six-word memoir say? Don't forget to stop over at YA Highway to see what the other participants are saying!

For more six-word memoirs, check out SMITH Magazine or pick up Not Quite What I Was Planning.

Also! If you're interested in a fun weekend of writerly awesomeness, read yesterday's blog.


* Not to mention it also does stupid things, but I'm trying to stay positive.
_____
Last.fm hit of the day: Shipping Up to Boston by Dropkick Murphys

18 comments:

  1. Ooh, liked both of yours--although the first one seems like it could be the hook of some hot, romance novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Pam is so right about the first one! I love yours though, it's so true! How many of us turned to writing because we weren't intellectually stimulated by the 9-5? (and, if our twitter feeds are any indication, you and I fall into that category for sheez.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam just made me LOL again.

    I didn't think about pets-- I could write one for my cat. "One-eyed cat, found in street-corner box." (Are hyphens cheating? Probably.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the SAME thing as Pam did. I was going to write something super dirty... but Pam beat me to it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam is right. Which is even funnier since it was about a cat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic!

    (I think the first one needs to become a romance novel, STAT)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I love your note at the bottom! Perfect memoir for a writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this one! So, so true. Boredom either reduces people to doing absolutely nothing or doing something amazing!

    And awwww for kitty. I'm so glad he found a good home with you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are great! The first makes me think about my rescue dog. His could be: "Lived in garage; now eats steak."

    But ditto Pam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you and your husband gave to poor little oil-soaked kitty a good home. He is adorable.

    Boredom is a great jumping point for so many of my ideas! What a great memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! That is so great! (And all the comments are pretty awesome, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love yours and Lucky's almost made me teary! (Then I read Pam's comment and had a totally new perspective!) Anyway, very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bwahaha, I bet the cat would love to star in a hot romance novel! This is a great RTW, love your responses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are sadists, indeed. ;) Your memoir is awesome. There is so much brilliance (and trouble, hehe) a bored mind can get into.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First, you ALL have sick, sick minds. I've also been trying to piece together what kind of romance novel would have part of the hook be "covered in oil."

    I also like the pet ones the few of you included. Those were awesome.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails