Tuesday, January 11, 2011

3 Best Hot Chocolates

Nothing is more awesome than a cup of good hot chocolate.

I'm not talking about Swiss Miss, but the kind that comes with actual chocolate bits. Right now I'm enjoying some dark chocolate peppermint stick hot chocolate. The only way it would be better was if it wasn't an hour old and if the office had milk for me to use instead of water*.

Granted, I wasn't always a hot chocolate snob. When I didn't have any knowledge of the great beyond, I loved Swiss Miss instant hot chocolate. I didn't even think about the connotations of "instant" and that mean there was a "non-instant" version out there.

I smartened up.

So, as the work day winds down and my to do list ratchets up, I present you with the four best hot chocolates I've had in the Boston area.

3. Dark Hot Chocolate, Burdick's. It's very chocolatey and extremely rich. This is concrete proof that chocolate can be a meal.

2. Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate, Starbucks. Maybe I don't get out as much as I should, but I really love this hot chocolate despite the fact I hate caramel. Go figure.

1. El Diablo Hot Chocolate, JP Licks. You'd think spicy chocolate is gross, but it's really not. The cayenne gives you just the right kick.

What's the best hot chocolate you've ever had?



* But that's another issue and one not really blog-worthy.

______
Last.fm hit of the day: Disarm Me [With Your Loneliness] by HIM

11 comments:

  1. I looooooove spicy hot chocolate. The Mexican hot chocolate I got at Simon's today was fantastic. I'm also a huge fan of the el Diablo from JP Licks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* now I want hot chocolate. I don't like caramel either, so I've never tried the one at Starbucks. Maybe I should do that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I love that stuff you have in your piccie--I'm drying on the name of the Nova Scotia coffee company it comes from--but it's too rich for me.

    The Trader Joe's stuff is awesome; ditto their "drinking chocolate." I love to make it and throw in a couple of Bob's peppermints and let 'em melt. Or better yet, Tiny Trapeze peppermint marshmallows... mmmmmm.

    Surprisingly enough, I am NOT a fan of Sbux salted caramel hot cocoa (although I lot fleur de sel caramels). I think it tastes... well... bleurgh. Not even a big fan of their peppermint hot choccie.

    You know what is really good? And knowing what a food snob I am, you're going to laugh--but Swiss Miss dark chocolate--the rich chocolate one--is actually really amazing with some half-and-half and Bailey's mint chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the starbucks salted caramel hot chocolate. YUM.

    Love the doctor who reference in the pic too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, JP Licks! I miss JP Licks sooooooooooo badly! I've never had he El Diablo, but damn if I'm not craving it right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've pretty much only had one kind...the instant. I feel so uncultured. Oh, wait when me and the cuz got to go to England for our MFA program we had hot choc. from this really cool bookstore in Oxford. It was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg, is that an adipose doll? That's AMAZING. Love it.
    I didn't know hot chocolate had gotten this fancy. Seriously. You guys are blowing my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually just have the instant stuff.

    Panera's hot chocolate is okay.. But after working there I don't really go there much. Especially not for just Hot Chocolate (but their Macaroni and Cheese.. yum)

    STARBUCKS.
    That Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate is my favorite hot chocolate ever. It's so delicious. Too bad Starbucks is closed right now or I'd go get one.

    Tomorrow! Someone remind me to go to Starbucks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, there's minimal carmel on the Salted Carmel Hot Chocolate. The flavoring inside is actually Toffee Nut.

    Too bad you don't like anywhere near Illinois. I promise I could make you the best hot chocolate you've ever had. Because that's what I do. For the a living...

    My life sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I had the extra money to go to your store and have you make me a hot chocolate I definitely would.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all, I love that you have an adipose! "I'm waving...at fat."

    Second of all, the best hot chocolate I've ever had was at this little Italian coffee shop on the corner of main street in Saratoga, NY. Italian hot chocolate that as it cooled became pudding. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails