Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday Fives: Cover Envy

I say this with all genuinosity, Lurkdom: THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY. It's been a high-class craptastic week for yours truly and this weekend couldn't come fast enough*. That my weekend starts in about three hours emphasizes the hooray factor.


I'm pretty sure I've mentioned my process for buying music is to go by the title. With books, 98% of the time my buying process is driven by the cover. If it's pretty, I'll pick it up. Other factors come into play then, but that's not what today is about.

For someone who picks books based on cover art, there aren't many that I would sell my soul for. If Michael Whelan's art graces the cover, it's a safe bet that it'll catch my eye, so I've excluded him from my list and only focused on "recent" covers.

All images are courtesy of Goodreads**.

Cassandra Clare's City of Bones. Every time I saw the book in the store, I'd stop, stare, and pick it up. Why it took me three years to finally buy it, I'll never know.

Once I finally did pick the book up, I found out the artist is Cliff Nielsen, only the artist of my favorite Wrinkle in Time cover ever.



Janice Hardy's Darkfall. I haven't read any of The Healing Wars Saga, but that is going to change.



Mayandree Michel's Betrayal. It's just so... gold. And pretty.



Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush Hush. I know, I know. It's Twilight with angels. But the cover really caught my eye.

Confession time: It's the reason I bought the book.











Oh, don't give me that look. You saw it coming. All roads lead to the Tower, after all.

What covers (books or otherwise) have grabbed your attention lately?

Go check out what other people are picking over at Paper Hangover!

* It helps that a good friend will be coming up for the weekend. That alone deserves cupcakes.
** With the exception of Darkfall, which I got from Janice Hardy's site.
______
Last.fm hit of the day: Need No Company by Hardcore Superstar

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I didn't even know the cover for Darkfall was out. I love it! Also, Betrayal is absolutely stunning :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic, and Betrayal is especially gorgeous. It's like eye balm. Though you probably wouldn't want to put balm in your eyes. Nevermind. Stupid analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices. Really like the cover for Betrayal and the City of Bones is really cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, I love the Betrayal cover! Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My current cover love is Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9366996-shattered-souls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are all great. I had never heard of this book before, but the cover drew me in: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8428195-entwined

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Betrayal six! :D And wonderful collage of The Dark Towers series, I think I must go look those up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, Quita really loved the Hush, Hush cover, too but was too embarrassed to include it. :) Can't believe I didn't include City of Bones, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is this beautiful golden-ness that is Betrayal?! Have NOT seen that cover. As for Hush Hush, yes the cover is gorgeous. It's still one of my favorite recent covers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes - I drooled over City of Bones cover too. Then I read it. I hope you have a better experience with it than I did. I am currently drooling over Where I Went. Only because I want to read it. But one of my favorite covers (don't know why) is Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the City of Bones, I just picked it up a few weeks ago and read the trilogy in under a week. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your picks. I love all of Clare's covers. I also admire the cover of Hush, Hush's sequel Crescendo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never read Dark Fall, but wow that's a cool cover.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails