Start Summer with a Good Fauxmance

During Weekend of Awesome, Erinn arranged a Skype chat with YA author Brendan Halpin. As I said in my WOA recap post, he was totally funny and smart. Our chat with him gave us insight on the industry we're all pushing our way into*. Talking with Brendan cemented the fact I need to read all his books. Now.

Turns out I had already planned on reading Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance. I planned on it for two reasons: I loved the premise and the last book I had read of Emily Franklin (Brendan's co-conspirator co-author) I enjoyed. It's a win, right? Right.

If you haven't heard of Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance, allow Goodreads to tell you all about it:
Fans of romance don't need to look any further than the fauxmance brewing between teen idols Charlie Tracker and Fielding Withers—known on their hit TV show as Jenna and Jonah, next-door neighbors flush with the excitement of first love. But it's their off-screen relationship that has helped cement their fame, as passionate fans follow their every PDA. They grace the covers of magazines week after week. Their fan club has chapters all over the country. The only problem is their off-screen romance is one big publicity stunt, and Charlie and Fielding can't stand to be in the same room. Still, it's a great gig, so even when the cameras stop rolling, the show must go on, and on, and on. . . . Until the pesky paparazzi blow their cover, and Charlie and Fielding must disappear to weather the media storm. It's not until they're far off the grid of the Hollywood circuit that they realize that there's more to each of them than shiny hair and a winning smile.

What I liked about it: The dual POV, the Shakespearian tie-in, the theatre speak. Fielding's voice. All of this was packaged in a quick read that I devoured in 24 hours**. It was the perfect way to kick off my summer of fun reading.


Good news! I'm giving away a signed copy of this book to one lucky member of the Lurkdom. All you need to do is tell me in the comments your best fauxmance story (and outcome) and leave your email address. Contest ends July 1, 2011.


Good luck everybody!

* For anyone keeping track, Pam is currently in the lead.
** And totally eschewed my editing responsibilities for. Sorry, project.
__________
Last.fm hit of the day: The Cry of Silence by Draconian