Genre: Urban Fantasy
Word Count: 66,500
Draft Time: I've done two drafts, totaling about 3 months. But I did spend a lot of time being proactive and outlining and letting the idea germinate in my brain.
Origin: I had the idea of everyone talking about the new boy on campus, but there had to be a reason why he was drawing so much attention. I definitely didn't want to do another YA contemporary so close to finishing revisions on my last one and NaNoWriMo was coming up, so I thought it was time to do something different. I read a lot of paranormal and UF, so that seemed to be the logical choice, but I didn't want to deal with the usual suspects found in that genre* either.
Beverages and Music of Choice: Phoenix Rising was sponsored by Diet Coke and Rockstar Low Carb Energy Drink. The soundtrack was a lot of atmospheric and prog rock, with the majority being Anathema's most recent albums.
- While drafting, the character Pike morphed from a 40-year-old, lecherous, not-on-the-level police officer to an early-20s, conflicted, hot, top-of-his-game specialized police officer.
- Phoenix Rising has the least amount of F-bombs ever used in any project I have written.
- To compensate for the lack of said F-bombs, the initial draft of Phoenix Rising had several too-graphic sex scenes**.
- Because of the spells used in Phoenix Rising, I now have an English-to-Latin translator bookmarked.
There you have it: Phoenix Rising in a nutshell. I'm waiting on two more crits on this before I revise and send out for querying. To be honest, I'm more confident about this project going somewhere than my other, but that's because I planned this one better.
I'd love to hear about what you are working on!
* I'm looking at you vampires and werewolves.
** Much more graphic than what my awesome beta readers, the WOA girls have seen. Yeah, this isn't YA.
Last.fm hit of the day: The Final Countdown by Europe