Tuesday, August 23, 2011

WIP Snapshot: Phoenix Rising

The following has been shamelessly poached from the following people: Kiersten White, Pam, and Quita. (Though I did first see on Kiersten White's blog and thought, "Hey, this is a wicked good idea. *I* should do the same.")


Credit
Title: Phoenix Rising

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Pages: 330

Chapters: 20...ish

Word Count: 66,500

Draft Time: I've done two drafts, totaling about 3 months. But I did spend a lot of time being proactive and outlining and letting the idea germinate in my brain.

Origin: I had the idea of everyone talking about the new boy on campus, but there had to be a reason why he was drawing so much attention. I definitely didn't want to do another YA contemporary so close to finishing revisions on my last one and NaNoWriMo was coming up, so I thought it was time to do something different. I read a lot of paranormal and UF, so that seemed to be the logical choice, but I didn't want to deal with the usual suspects found in that genre* either.

Beverages and Music of Choice: Phoenix Rising was sponsored by Diet Coke and Rockstar Low Carb Energy Drink. The soundtrack was a lot of atmospheric and prog rock, with the majority being Anathema's most recent albums.

Random Facts:
  • While drafting, the character Pike morphed from a 40-year-old, lecherous, not-on-the-level police officer to an early-20s, conflicted, hot, top-of-his-game specialized police officer.
  • Phoenix Rising has the least amount of F-bombs ever used in any project I have written.
  • To compensate for the lack of said F-bombs, the initial draft of Phoenix Rising had several too-graphic sex scenes**.
  • Because of the spells used in Phoenix Rising, I now have an English-to-Latin translator bookmarked.

There you have it: Phoenix Rising in a nutshell. I'm waiting on two more crits on this before I revise and send out for querying. To be honest, I'm more confident about this project going somewhere than my other, but that's because I planned this one better.

I'd love to hear about what you are working on!




* I'm looking at you vampires and werewolves.
** Much more graphic than what my awesome beta readers, the WOA girls have seen. Yeah, this isn't YA.
_______
Last.fm hit of the day: The Final Countdown by Europe

9 comments:

  1. Isn't it crazy when characters completely change like that between drafts?? It happens to at least one in every story I write. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this English to Latin translator good though? Every time I find a good translator they end up croaking from too many people trying to use the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always bookmarking translators. :P

    Fellow Campaigner stopping by, and new follower. It's great to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 40 yrs old to 20...I love it! Lol. It's nice to meet you. I'm a fellow Campaigner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this story sounds incredibly awesome... I'm dying to know more of what it's about, and I love the police officer who magically became a high-speed hottie. Why not? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya

    Just found you at Writers' Platform-Building Campaign and thought I'd drop by to say hello!
    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to everyone who stopped by and commented.

    For those asking about the Latin translator, this is the one I'm using: http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=English&to=Latin. As someone who knows nothing of Latin, I think it works.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello fellow Campaigner! I love that you have a character named Pike - I do too! He's my antagonist (named after my cat, who is also an antagonist!).

    Can't wait to get to know you better through your blog. And good luck when the querying process starts. I'm just about at the same place that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Phoenix Rising sounds like a great read. Best of luck with your final revisions. I'm currently preparing the first part of my YA contemporary for betas. Fingers crossed they don't completely hate it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails