Monday, September 26, 2011

The Great Book Reorg of 2011

Back in the spring of 2010, I admitted that I have a book habit. Now in the fall of 2011, I'm here to tell you it hasn't improved. With the demise of Borders, the addiction grew worse. The combined TBR pile morphed into 4 totes full of unread books.

Houston, we definitely have a problem.

So a few weeks ago, Hubby finally agreed to the Great Book Reorg of 2011. Every book was stripped from the shelves* and unloaded from totes until we were able to see everything**. The amount of books we had was sort of disgusting because we knew we weren't going to read a lot of them. It had turned into hoarding.

So we went through the process of brutal honesty on what we were going to read, reread, and not. If they were books we borrowed and weren't going to read them, they went into the "return" pile. If they were books bought on a whim, they went into the "resell" pile. The resell pile currently stands at 3 large grocery bags and 2 midsize boxes. Books we were going to keep got put into totes, totalling 3. I catalogued everything we kept.

Our final book count is 600+ books***.

So what does 600+ books look like?
Like this. 

Hardcover and over-sized paperbacks,
which is already 4 books lighter.
The White One demonstrates how the
stored books make a great napping spot.
The mess of our random case is even
worse compared to the Mongo case holding
all our paperbacks and The Dark Tower.


How do you store your TBR piles? Did you have to do a book purge recently? Share below!

* The exception to that was our "random" case that contains a mish mash of crap. We'll get to that eventually.
** That particular process happened in 3 stages across our kitchen table. The White One decided to play nice and leave us alone for this.
*** This number based on catalog alone. This number doesn't include Harry Potter, items on the random case, boxed up books in the basement or at another house, or graphic novels and comics. Once it gets to that point, Excel may break.

________
Last.fm hit of the day: Sweden by Rebellion

15 comments:

  1. Are those all in the same room? You must have the best home office ever. I love all the filled shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly that's a lot of books! I've never tried to sit down and count mine, but it's nowhere near your number. I'm a huge fan of the library. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The library and e-books both help. Still I think there are about 400-500 books in my house. I'm not ready to purge yet though. I just lend books to friends and tell myself it's good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The smell in that room must be magical. Now I kinda wish all my books were in one place so I could count them.

    The other thing you might think about is donating some of your resell books to your local library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! That's a lot of books! I go through my books rather frequently and purge them to make room for the new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's not a lot of books. Trust me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa. Is it wrong that I look at your collection as something to aspire to rather than purge?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Christine - insanely jealous!

    I have no method to the madness. Unless scattered towers are a method.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's amazing! I applaud you for your purging abilities. I attempted to do that recently with mine, and I just couldn't part with a bunch of my books! I love them! I'm attached! ;_;

    I have way too many to count, and that was just books in my ONE bookshelf (I know, shameful!). Everything else is packed away in boxes and plastic tubs or otherwise stacked in random places on the floor throughout the house. Borders going out of business didn't help since I bought a ton more books. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. There once was a book purge in my house, and I cried for two days after my mom carted those boxes off to the library.

    She assured me that I could check them out if I wanted to read them again, so I stopped crying. (In case you're wondering, I was in high school. Don't judge me.)

    No. My library did not keep them. I never saw any of those books again. I still feel bitter about it. I've added many more books to my personal library since then in order to make up for that horrible loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am compulsive about reading everything I get. If I'm not sure I'll like it, I'll get it at the library. If I read it (and I'll 99.9% of the time finish reading anything I started) and don't like it, I give it away. And most of my YA has been handed over to teens, whether I liked it or not. So my grand total in my house is probably less than 100. My picture book collection, though (I have 2 kids and teach preschool) I've never counted. 200? 300? Somewhere in there.
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad I'm not the only one with bowed bookshelves! My husband and I are book collectors as well, but you guys definitely have us beat. You've made me feel like less of a hoarder, Alicia. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is wonderful. I have a friend who has thousands of books. Yep, I said thousands. She keeps books she's read that don't fit on shelves alphabetized in plastic bins in the basement. I'm not sure what I did before I let myself buy a new bookcase.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the comments and pointers. Our bookcases span two rooms. The pics with the yellow walls are from what currently works as the home office. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in the book problem.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails