You Can Write That Again

Every Wednesday, YA Highway asks their readership a simple question to answer on your blog. Once you answer, you link your blog in the comments for other readers to hop on board. This is Road Trip Wednesday.

Today's Topic: What themes, settings, motifs, scenes, or other elements do you find recurring in your work?

I'd love to say that I'm so freaking original that nothing from Story A shows up in Story B because as a writer's it's my job to make sure everything is fresh and unique and non-redundant. However, I can't. Some things just show up no matter what.

One parent is always either dead or missing from the protagonist's life. And when I say missing, I do mean that in a "they've never physically been here" kind of way*. Sometimes both are gone. Project count: 4

The F-bomb shower. Found in early drafts only**, my love for this four-letter word gets showered across all dialogue and exposition. Project count: 4

Blonde girl who is either uber-bitchy or extremely Type A. This might date back to Middle School and High School Alicia dealing with several bitchy blonde cheerleaders. Project count: 2

The fun-loving male friend who constantly cracks jokes. These guys actually end up being so much fun to write that they have a tendency to derail me at times. Project count: 4

Location is set in Boston and the surrounding areas***. I grew up here and with the exceptions of vacations have never left. Project count: 4

Music, in particular rock. More specifically, metal. I listen while I work, write, and walk. I have characters in bands and "with" bands. I have characters argue over the finer points of Black Sabbath and wear inappropriate band shirts. Project count: 3

Do you notice something that you repeat from project to project. Are there certain authors where you notice they have a certain "thing?" Share below.



* The fact that my parents have always been together and in my life hasn't escaped my notice, so I'm not sure where this comes from.
** Though still present in later drafts.
*** This includes side trips to Boston and the surrounding areas.
_______
Last.fm hit of the day: Never Let You Go by White Lion