October Reviews: Silence & Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Every Wednesday, YA Highway asks their readership a simple question to answer on your blog. Once you answer, you link your blog in the comments for other readers to hop on board. This is Road Trip Wednesday. 

Today's topic: What was the best book you in October?

Funny thing about today's topic: what I considered the best book I read this month was not the one I rated the highest. Allow me to explain...

Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick got the highest rating and there's a two-fold reasoning for this. One, I love paranormal and urban fantasy, so they generally rate higher* than other things. Two, it was leaps and bounds better than Crescendo, which had a shitty cover and a cop out cliffhanger that made me throw the book.

So while the highest rated, not the best of the month. That honor goes to Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

 Blurb from Goodreads:
One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

What I liked about it: Everyone I know who has read this book talks about Tiny Cooper and how awesome he is. It's true. Tiny is gay-tastic to the point where he wrote a musical about himself called Tiny Dancer: The Tiny Cooper Story**. Character-wise, Will Grayson #2 was my favorite. He was snarky, honest, and had this awesome dark edge to his humor.

What you should know: This book has gotten *tons* of love with the awards to prove it. John Green and David Levithan show how dual first person POVs should work. The writing styles of these two mesh so well that I couldn't tell who wrote which characters (Will Grayson's withstanding as that was obvious).

Since I'm in direct contrast with everyone else and Tiny, sway me to like Tiny more than Will Grayson #2 below.




* There are always exceptions to this rule, especially since I love well-written contemporary as well.
** Which is hysterical because the first thing you learn about Tiny is that he's anything but. His girth and personality are enormous.
_______
Last.fm hit of the day: The Sounds of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel