Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I Would Sell My Soul for Twilight Money

Every Wednesday, YA Highway asks their readership a simple question to answer on your blog. Once you answer, you link your blog in the comments for other readers to hop on board. This is Road Trip Wednesday. 

Today's topic: How far would you go to get published?

More than once I told Bestie Danielle that I would sell my soul for some Twilight money. This should give you an idea of my lack of scruples.

On a more serious note, even though I'm attached to my story lines and characters like The White One and plastic, I'm not stupid. I do realize that the publishing industry contains a bit of give and take. So I'd like to present my list of how far I'd go.

Revision. I have no problems revising. There are people out there much smarter than me that want to make my book better. I've been known to take pretty much any suggestion and try it out*. There are just certain things that won't happen in this though. If you want me to revise so there's a more lyrical quality to the writing, good luck with that. Lyrical I'm not.

Pursue a hobby in cardio torture, AKA running. If you really want me to take up running in order for me to get published, I'll do it.  Be prepared for phone calls after the fact though.

Change my characters. Should their hair color change? Okay. Should they suddenly change sexes? Erm, probably not.

The "Sparkle" Factor. This is where I'll stop compromising. Nothing alive or undead should sparkle. Ever**.

Now that I've shared my thoughts on what I'm willing to do or not, I should go take care of some revisions.

* Unfortunately, this has also included suggestions from Nemesis, he of the infamous "love juices."
** The exception to this is when someone is where sequins, which should only be used for costumed purposes only.

14 comments:

  1. BAHAHAHA agreed. Nothing alive or dead SHOULD sparkle. At least not naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you wouldn't make things Sparkle. There were signs up at the theater the other day saying that 90 minutes into Twilight there was a scene that could cause seizures in people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get the Twilight money. I'm cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and by the way, I appreciate the honesty in this. So many writers would never own up to the fact that they write for big money and get all mopey and depressed when they aren't famous and making the big bucks. Then they go on their blogs and whine about being down when really it's "ah...your dreams of being better than everyone else didn't pan out now did they?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. For Twilight money, I'm willing to cut my hair like Justin Bieber AND choreograph a whole routine to one of his songs. You can quote me on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, for Twilight money, I'd coat MYSELF in glitter and dance around in a sequined outfit of sparkleyness. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm moneymoneymoney. *rubs hands--freezes* Sparkles!? *runs screaming*

    Ever since the Great Glitter Debacle of '97, I haven't been able to stand the sight of glitter or sparkly things. The horror: it's too much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL. As far as I'm concerned, you're pretty darn smart, my beta-reading friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahhaha. but WHAT ABOUT FAERIES!?!? Why do you hate the poor sparkly-winged fairy people?!?! :D *hides*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Love your take on this, Alicia. You've made me laugh yet again. And you're right: Nothing alive OR undead should EVER sparkle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's not much I wouldn't do for Twilight money either. A girl can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sparkle factor - love it.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pam oh Pam just had me cracking up in that comment.

    Ahem. I think being willing to revise isn't selling out. It's really part of the process and whoever isn't willing to do it probably won't get published anyway. As for Twilight money. I hope you get it without making any of your girl-turned-boy characters sparkle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How far would I go... I'm working on trust that the right things will happen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails