Behind the Zombie-- Doug Jones



Zombie Thursdays is a weekly feature with guest blogger, Miranda. You can read more about her here.

Hello! And welcome to another edition of Zombie Thursday! Today I want to profile another cool actor. He's not especially famous for playing a zombie, but he is incredibly famous. He's been in over 90 films and television shows, and even though you have most definitely seen him, you may not even know or realize who he is!

Around my birthday back in February, I was watching the Disney Channel. I'm a huge Disney fan and watch it rather frequently. I'm not embarrassed by this fact. It just so happened that one of my favorite movies of all time was on, and one that features a zombie! A zombie in a Disney movie? On the Disney Channel? Not as strange or out of place as you might think (Disney has produced some f@*ked up movies... I love them! But they are messed up. Something Wicked this Way Comes, anyone? But I digress...) Anyway! The movie I'm referring to is Hocus Pocus! But, Miranda, that movie had witches and a cat. I don't remember a zombie...


Enter the character Billy Butcherson! The dead ex-lover of Winifred (Bette Midler) who is brought back to "life" through some black voodoo magic and chases around the poor children. But he changes sides and at one point is referred to as a "nice zombie." Great character, fantastic makeup job (Billy has his lips sewn shut by Winifred; he eventually rips them open as have the thread still hanging there), and wonderfully portrayed by actor Doug Jones.


Doug Jones is an incredibly talented actor and body contortionist. While he does play characters that are very human and normal looking, more often than not he is hidden behind layers of makeup and prosthetics. Some of his more notable roles have been Abe Sapien in the Hellboy movies, the Faun in Pan's Labyrinth, and roles in Mystery Men, Men in Black II, Tales from the Crypt, The Fantastic Four (the Silver Surfer), and so many, many more! In fact, one of my absolute favorite roles he has protrayed, and one that still freaks me out *every time* I see it... He plays the lead "Gentleman" in the silent (and Emmy winning) episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 'Hush.'


Just like our character actor last week, I've heard nothing but amazing things about Doug Jones' personality and attitude toward his fans. He is a regular at fan conventions and is always there to give an autograph or hug (lots of hugs, or so I've been told). If you're a fan of Mr. Jones, what movies have you seen him in and which are your favorites? I'm also going to have to throw Tank Girl out there, as well. Love that movie and I love the Rippers!