A Small Pep Talk

Staying committed to your dreams is hard, especially when nothing is happening the way you think it should. Your process is too long. Feedback is mixed. LIFE constantly throws crap in your face. How the hell can you end up on top?

Yes, I'm speaking from experience. Hair-pulling, head-slamming experience. In case you missed it, I've been at this writing thing for a long time. I've been with you, Lurkdom, for already six and a half years. In that time, I've trunked a novel, witnessed Nemesis self-publish his epic fail, and met tons of fantastic, committed writers who have pushed their way through the doldrums I'm stuck in. I've also watched a few of them pack it in, not able to deal with the heartache and frustration anymore.

Even though the temptation to say "fuck it" and give in is so delicious, I haven't folded. Seeing my works in print is my dream. I work on keeping that in the forefront while I continue to query, research, write, revise. Some days I love it. Some days I think that being a wino would be more productive. To be honest, most of the days right now fall in the latter category. 

No more. Today is the day that I'm totally putting all of this back in my control. If I get a rejection, FINE. It's a rejection. If I get negative feedback, FINE. It's feedback. I'll synthesize it, better my project based on it, and carry on. 

You can do this too. 

Don't give up. Commit to your dream. I'm rooting for you.