Monday, July 20, 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week 7

Ready. Set. WRITE! is a summer accountability series that is hosted by Jaime MorrowKaty UppermanAlison MilerErin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij. We set goals for the summer and check in weekly.

Week 7. Still no beach. this past week was definitely a challenge week. So let's see how I shaped up, shall we?

How I Did Last Week


  • Work on some business stuff for The Writers' Loft. DONE. For now.
  • Send out 3 more queries. This didn't happen.
  • Get at least halfway through Workshop 9 of PLANNING YOUR NOVEL - completed entire workshop. DONE. I completed the entire workshop.
  • Begin revisions on the last third of SCENES FROM LAST NIGHT. Nope. I had to dial it back and work on the timeline for SFLN first. That, at least, is done.
  • Read. DONE
  • Continue to walk every day, even if it's just to Dunkin and back. Nope. I only managed 4 or 5 days.


My Goal(s) For This Week


  • Continue SCENES FROM LAST NIGHT revisions.
  • Send out 3 queries.
  • Beta a friend's picture book
  • Get up at 5 AM Monday-Friday so I can walk to work before it gets way too hot.
  • Walk every day, even if it's to Dunkin and back.
  • Add voice exercises to Scrivener template.
  • Stretch goal-->Get at least halfway through final workshop of PLANNING YOUR NOVEL.

One Phrase That Sums Up What I Revised

Not quite there yet. I'm identifying some weaknesses in SFLN that I thought I had addressed. Here's hoping I can get these fixed with relative ease.

Biggest Challenge I Faced This Week

Not accounting for time and life. I had a shortened weekend which threw me off my game all week.This week hopefully will go smoother.

Something I Love About My WIP

I still love how fast of a read SFN is and I hope I can maintain that once I complete this revision.

How did you all do this week?

17 comments:

  1. You did great this week! It's hard when life throws you. I hope next week goes well for you and reach all your goals ( i would utterly fail at the 5am one!) - good luck!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. 5 AM is always a challenge. My alarm goes off then, but I don't think I actually leave bed until like 6.30. I'm trying to get myself in a better rhythm. Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  2. 5 AM?! ugh. You are a good person for just making that a goal. :) But it does get hot quick around here. If I don't walk before 8, I can just hang the exercise up. Outdoor exercise anyway. Sounds like you are making great progress on your other goals! Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be at the day job but 8.30 and it takes about 45-60 minutes with coffee. Given how hot and humid it's been this week, I did not want to schlep to the office. Even at 6 this morning it was hot.

      Delete
  3. Hey 3 of 6 complete is fantastic plus still doing work on the others so whoohoo! Here's to another great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eve. Good luck this week to you as well!

      Delete
  4. Walking 4 or 5 days a week is pretty excellent, Alicia. I'd call that one a win. :-) Here's hoping you get a little bit more time to work though your revisions/querying/voice exercises (what are these, by the way?) in the coming days. Have a wonderful week, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AC Gaughen is leading some worldbuilding workshops at The Writers' Loft this summer. Saturday she did one for voice. It was very, very cool.

      Delete
  5. "Not quite there yet" is how I would sum up my revision as well. Solidarity. And I have to agree with Katy, walking 4-5 days a week is great! That's 4-5 more days of exercise than I got. ;-) Good luck with your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you, Jaime. Here's hoping you and I both get there on the WIP soon.

      Delete
  6. I failed miserably on walking last week, so you did great getting out 4-5 times. Even if your ms isn't quite there yet, it's good that you know that and that you're still polishing it up. I'm sure all that effort will show in the final product. Have a super week and good luck with your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whispers* When you walk to work, walking 5 times isn't that much of a challenge. Usually. Good luck this week to you too!

      Delete
  7. I am totally impressed with what you got done! It is freezing here right now so I cannot quite imagine a world where it gets so hot that you have to get up THAT EARLY to walk in comfort. It sounds good to me (as I sit in bed wearing neck warmers and sweaters...) but am sure the reality is sticky and uncomfortable.Good luck with your writing this week! It sounds like you are really looking at your WIP with a good critical eye, which is so important (and difficult). Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really shouldn't complain about the humidity and heat after the winter we had in New England. The news announced last week that the last of the snow *finally* melted. I hope you stay warm with your sweaters and such and good luck to you too!

      Delete
  8. Mmm, walking to Dunkin sounds rewarding! =) Yay for all that you completed last week, and good luck for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty convinced Dunkin is my lifeblood these days.

      Delete
  9. So you didn't get to everything, but you were definitely busy! Some great accomplishments here!

    My daughter and I have been taking night walks. We live rurally, so it' quiet and lovely out at night...and I'm getting at least a very short walk in most nights, and sometimes one in the daytime too...

    Get up at 5am? Nowhere near as simple to me as still being up at that hour!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails