Monday, August 24, 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week 12

Ready. Set. WRITE! is a summer accountability series that is hosted by Jaime MorrowKaty UppermanAlison MilerErin Funk, and Elodie Nowodazkij. We set goals for the summer and check in weekly. 

Welp, summer is winding down. (Still no beach in sight). And the first local apples have hit the grocery store. Which is fantastic, because I love apples. However, it's just one calendar page closer to Snowmageddon Part 3. I know, I know. We're far, far away from dealing with that. I will continue to enjoy August. (And hopefully get a beach day in)

Some of my recent weekly goals have been a bit challenging because of the day job. Some stuff I can do when it's quiet, like figure out a revision plan or do some light research. Anything that requires intense concentration -- betaing, revising, drafting -- can't be done due to the nature of working in a call center*. But, we all have our crosses to bear.

How I Did Last Week


  • Do my final pass on the beta from last week. DONE!
  • Begin betaing another friend's manuscript. DONE! Well, done as in I began it. I'm in round 2 of reading throuh it.
  • Walk every day.  Fail. 5 out of 7. It's been too damn humid.
  • Fold and put away laundry. DONE! This is what I'm most proud of this week.
  • Stretch goal--> Continue thinking about revision plan for the boy band book. DONE! 
  • Additional stretch goal --> Do some research for The SNI. DONE!

My Goal(s) For This Week


  • Complete the beta I started last week.
  • Figure out a blog schedule to maintain.
  • Start working on a doable exercise routine**.
  • Walk 5 days. Maybe 4.
  • Stretch goal--> Continue thinking about revision plan for the boy band book. 
  • Additional stretch goal --> Do some research for The SNI. 

One Phrase That Sums Up What I Wrote/Revised

In progress. Everything I've worked on this past week has been to get ready for the next step, so this is apt.

Biggest Challenge I Faced This Week

Ugh. Myself. The day job leaves me depressed and full of self-loathing pretty much every day. Have you ever tried to work on anything while under that kind of emotional blanket? It's HARD.

Something I Love About My WIP

Researching all the Japanese stuff for The SNI. It reminds me a bit of 5th grade for International Day, I did a presentation on Japan. Except this time I'm not learning about the economy or political structure.



* It's a glamorous life. Try not to be jealous.
** Pretty sure this will be a list that won't do anything until this depression goes away.

19 comments:

  1. :( about the day job. Been there and it's not fun. Add in the humidity and BLAH.

    I hope this week is better for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not fun. So glad I have people that understand. (aka, you. ;) ) Here's hoping we both have awesome weeks.

      Delete
  2. I worked in a call center one day and quit. Dirt, grease, heavy lifting--anything was better than dealing with those phones (for me anyway). So power to you! And yay to reaching all of those goals! Here's wishing you more sunshine this next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Call center jobs are definitely hard. And not for everyone. And most of those call center memes? TOTALLY TRUE.

      Delete
  3. Well, it sounds like you did great with your goals despite the day job! And I hear you on the depression from the day job - that was me for the last five years of teaching. I know. Sounds HORRIBLE to say that (it wasn't the kids though - all the other crap) but fortunately I was close enough to where I could get out and get a new plan in action. Hopefully you can find a way to do the same! Hang in there. Writing and family were my sanity. Hopefully they can soothe the soul on your end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh.. Alison, that is horrible you had to go through that. And teaching, no less. All that other stuff is why I never did anything with my teaching degree. (Well, one of the reasons.) Thanks for commiserating. It's so helpful to know other people have been at this point too.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your goals! *party bus*

    Sorry to hear about your job. I worked somewhere that I can only describe as toxic. It affected my whole life. I loved my coworkers but everyone was trying to get out. Worse, I shared an office (think mismatched desks crammed into a small room) so coworkers would come into our space, close the door, and vent. So all day I'd hear people bitching. Too much. My husband (dating at the time) was the one who said I had to get out of there. I hope you have some relief or at least some support to get through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. My coworkers and I all do the same thing your coworkers did, so you hit the issue with my day job right on the head. Hubby knows about how much the day job sucks at my soul. Unfortunately, there's not too much we can do at this point. Soon, I tkeep telling myself. SOON.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, it sucks that your day job is getting you down. So sorry to hear you're struggling, but I totally get that. You did a stellar job on your goals in spite of all the stress though, so that's awesome! I hope you feel encouraged this week and that the depression lets up. I also hope the humidity lets up. Remember last week I said we had humidity here but it wasn't hot? Yeah, I jinxed it and now it's hot here too lol. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, the humidity! It's so bad. It actually feels like a hurricane but with no gale force winds. Or rain. Just soupy mugginess. Thanks for the wishes!

      Delete
  6. You did great! 5 out of 7 is still huge and yeah humidity will suck the air right out of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does! It makes motivation so challenging.

      Delete
  7. Yes! We have tried to work on stuff while feeling UBER depressed and it is not fun, nor is it do-able so kudos to you for getting anything done while under that kind of stress. Also YAY for getting any walking done while it's been so humid. Once you figure out that blog routine, please tell us your secret b/c once this ends, we're gonna be scrambling for posts. Good luck on your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will let you girls know about the routine. (Actually, I was going to email you both today, but I don't know if you still have the same emails.) Let me know.

      Delete
  8. Well done on your goals! I totally relate about the day job. I am right there with you and the negativity just follows you around, doesn't it? It's really hard to keep focus :( I just keep thinking of that quote: "When you're going through hell, keep going" and working on my escape plan. Hope you have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie, it definitely does follow you. Escape plans are always good. Plus fantasy world plans. I have that a lot too.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on achieving your goals! Sorry to hear about your day job. It can be so hard to get writing done when you're demotivated like that. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. Hope you have a great week as well!

      Delete
  10. Ugh. I'm so sorry your day job's been bumming you out. I've been doing the self-loathing thing lately, too, and it's just so not conducive to productive writing sessions. Anyway, you're not alone, and I'm rooting for you to finish this summer out strong. You've already accomplished so much! Have a great week, lady!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails