Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bring on the Love

Every Wednesday, YA Highway asks their readership a simple question to answer on your blog. Once you answer, you link your blog in the comments for other readers to hop on board. This is Road Trip Wednesday.

Today's question: Who are your favorite literary couples?

This should be a super-easy question. I mean, who doesn't have couples they love seeing together? Right?

The problem with this is, I'm a cynic. My normal response to love and mushiness is the eye roll and gagging. Hubby's accepted this, you can too. Because of this "limitation," finding those great literary loves is difficult. Most of the time I only like one half of them.

Vicky Austin & Adam Eddington
Books: A Ring of Endless Light, Troubling a Star
Why: Even though Vicky's in high school and Adam is so not, it's not creepy. Their relationship isn't one of those sticky sweet high school things, but more grounded in reality.

Anita Blake and Nathaniel Graison
Books: Burnt Offerings, Blue Moon, Narcissus in Chains, Cerulean Sins, Incubus Dreams, Danse Macabre, The Harlequin, Blood Noir, Flirt
Why: What started as a real off-putting, one-sided weird fest* turned into one of the best relationships I've read in paranormal. Nathaniel is supportive and balances Anita's Type A personality in ways the other dozen men in her life** don't.

Georgia Nicolson & Dave the Laugh
Books: The entire Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series
Why: They get on awesomely. It's one of those great friendships where each of them get more silly around the other. Plus, Dave the Laugh did introduce the concept of putting the word "pants" in place of critical words in most theatrical productions***.

Lurkdom, if you could pair any two characters together, who would they be?

Housekeeping Note
Do you love cookies? Then don't forget to submit your scariest haiku before Friday. You can get all the details here.

* And to be honest, lots of stuff in the later Anita books fall under the weird fest category. (Not to mention the NC-17 category.)
** Am so not kidding on the number. Like I said, it turns into a weird fest.
*** The hills are alive with the sound of "pants" is much more interesting than "music," for example.
______________
Last.fm hit of the day: Step Down by The Moxy

24 comments:

  1. Vicky and Adam!!! Ooooh!!! Awesome pick! I didn't even think of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hang my head in shame because Georgia Nicolson & Dave the Laugh are the only ones I've heard of. lame sauce erinn, lame sauce

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of any of these couples! I'm like Erinn, I'm so ashamed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with these couples, but your reasons for loving them are pretty convincing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read any of these books, but I love the type of relationship you described in Confessions of Georgia Nicolson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I haven't read any of these either! Vicky and Adam sounds pretty interesting though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have not read any of these, but I must! Starting with the two Vicky and Adam picks. (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I must say that Vicky and Adam creeped me out. Plus there was Vicky and Zach, which was even weirder. K I'm getting off-topic.
    Darcy and Elizabeth! They have this amazing spark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of your list either, but I have read a few of Hamilton's other series...you're right, def NC-17

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of these either!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh! Vicky and Adam--NICE! I never would've thought of those 2!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't even read any of your choices. I need to work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I no longer feel any guilt for not reading any other books because most of you haven't ready A Ring of Endless Light.

    Anyway.

    Yahong, I want to know what creeped you about about Vicky and Adam. I can definitely guess about Vicky and Zach. I'm split on that one.

    Jennifer, I'm assuming you mean the Merry Gentry series. And yes, that is NC-17 as well.

    Thanks for stopping by ladies and don't forget to write a haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not familiar with any of these couples, but it's fun to read about different couples than those most of us are picking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How do i not know ANY of these? I have to remedy this deficit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Vicky and Adam!

    I always imagined they were just like Madeline and Whatshisface.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love Vicky and Adam! I love those books full stop. I wish she had written just one more...or maybe two. I want to know MORE about what happened to them all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh - these sound very interesting. Sadly, I've not read any of them. See, this is what happens every Wednesday... I find more and more books to add to that ever-growing TBR list. Such a terrible problem to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love reading your posts very interesting.Start following your blog....Please check out my blog and do leave a comment too...it would be great if you could also be my follower. Thank you,have a nice day. :)
    http://interestingplace1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I admit I haven't read any of those books. >.> But I agree on being a rather turned off by the sappy. Gotta read these books now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks to this brilliant post, I will forever and always substitute "pants" for important words. Can you imagine Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Pants? Or "The Phantom of the Pants is here... inside my mind!" Wow. That's creepyfantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been meaning to read Anita Blake! I hear nothing but good things about her, and several of her menfolk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jess, substituting "pants" for pretty much anything is awesome. Song titles especially.

    Again thanks for stopping by ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  24. No I have not read "endless night" but now I sure will. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails