On Writing....

Credit 
Style and methods, that is!

I totally poached this meme from Holly that she posted back in December. I've kept it filed away for a day when I needed something in a pinch. Since today's Tuesday and the 9-5 job has my brain all scrambled, it looks like today would be the day.

Writing style and methodology vary per person. There is no right or wrong way to do go about a writing project. So what works for me will not necessarily work for you. Also, style and methods can change over time*.


1. Are you a “pantser” or a “plotter”?
For those in The Lurkdom that don't know these terms, I'll give you a quick breakdown: pantser is when you write a story without any planning, just going by the seat of your pants. Plotter is the exact

From the dawn of time, I used to be 100% panster; I would have the characters and backstory in my head and then just let my fingers and brain tag team to get the story down. While this is fun, it was a pain in the ass when I wrote myself in a corner**. My first NaNoWriMo changed that entirely. Having the scenes mapped out ahead of time made the story go much smoother. I'm never going back.


2. Detailed character sketches or the character builds itself?
A little bit of both. My characters hang out in my head for a while before they usually hit a story, but on the off chance that they don't, character sheets do help.

3. Do you know your characters’ goals, motivations, and conflicts before you start writing? Or is that something you discover only after you're in the thick?
It depends on the character and the story. In Falling to Normal and Phoenix Rising, I know what my MC's primary goals were. The rest I usually don't figure out right away.

4. Books on plotting?
I love writing books, but oddly enough, I don't have many on plotting. Scene, description, writing exercises, and editing? I have tons. The only plotting book I have is Fill in the Blank Plotting, which I still owe a review of.

5. Are you a procrastinator or does the itch to write keep at you until you sit down and work?
I can't not write. (The fact that I haven't written anything new in weeks eats at me to the point where I'm pretty bitchy day-to-day.) Though I rant tons about editing, I'll even work on that. It's in my blood so I can't ignore it***.

6. Do you write in short bursts of creative energy, or can you sit down and write for hours at a time?
Hours. HOURS.

7. Are you a morning or afternoon writer?
Ideally, I'm a midday gal. It's when I'm my most productive. Of course, the 9-5 job would frown on me writing when I should be doing event planning and whatever other task fits in my job description, so I have to adjust and work at night. I'm training myself to be productive past 10 PM****.

8. Do you write with music/the noise of children/in a cafe or other public setting, or do you need complete silence to concentrate?
I always have my headphones in, so the location doesn't matter. Working with Hubby nearby is sometimes a daunting task because he likes to talk. This happens usually when I'm in the middle of a difficult scene or if I'm really engrossed.

9. Computer or longhand?
I love writing long hand, but the computer makes everything so much simpler. I'll always do a massive edit/revise on paper though.

10. Do you know the ending before you type Chapter One?
This goes with being a pantser versus plotter. For Falling to Normal, where I pantsed, no. For Phoenix Rising, where I plotted, yes.

11. Does what’s selling in the market influence how and what you write?
Hell no. Though, I wouldn't be opposed to some Twilight money.

12. Editing – love it or hate it?

If you read yesterday's entry, follow me on Twitter, or are friends with me on Facebook, you'll see how much I loathe love remain neutral about editing. Editing is part of the job and contrary to what Nemesis thinks, work needs to be polished if you want to be noticed.

Lurkdom, what's your writing style?

Don't forget to enter our race to 150 contest, where there may be more prizes in the future.

* Just by looking at what I decided to use for NaNoEdMo is proof of this. (Hint: the date on one piece if from 1994.)
** And I so wrote myself into impossible corners.
*** Procrastinating on other aspects of my life however...
**** Suggestions on how to do this are most welcome.
_________
Last.fm hit of the day: Burning Love by Elvis