Best of June: The Dark and The Light

Every Wednesday, YA Highway asks their readership a simple question to answer on your blog. Once you answer, you link your blog in the comments for other readers to hop on board. This is Road Trip Wednesday.

Today's topic: What's the best book you've read this month?

For the record, I'm excited that this topic has come back. Like, wicked excited. Knowing this topic happens monthly, ensures I complete at least one book a month*. I gave half of the eight I read this month four stars, but there's only two I'm still thinking about.

Crank by Ellen Hopkins
What I liked about it: Surprising, I enjoyed the novel-in-verse format. This made for a fast, engaging read. The subject matter is handled well and I was totally rooting for Kristina throughout the novel**.

After reading it, I understand why so many places ban this book. I don't agree with it, but I get where they're coming from. (That's an entirely different subject and one I can rant about a lot.)

Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance by Brendan Halpin and Emily Franklin
What I liked about it: I talked about it here, but I realized the vagueness of my review didn't do the book justice. When you have the set up of two people stuck in a fake romance, it's interesting to see that change and how it happens. There's no dark issues in this book, which is a nice break from the rest of my June reading which covered the sequels to Crank and The Shifter***.

If you like the sound of Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance, you can win a signed copy from me. All you need to do is tell me your best fauxmance story (and outcome).



* Though given my spastic reading pace, this hasn't been a problem. Yet.
** Something that didn't happen during it's sequel. I spent a lot of time calling her a stupid shit.
*** Which wasn't dark/edgy, but dark with murder and stuff like that. 
_______
Last.fm hit of the day: LA '86 by The Soho Cobras