Kick Start Your Creative Slump!

We all have those moments where the ideas/words/brilliance don't come. If you're like me, these times when nothing ends up on the page mean a lot of bitchy behavior until the block passes. If you're also like me, you like to expedite that process. The question is how?


I've talked about this before, but that was more geared to when your brain entirely too fried to do anything. This is just about getting those juices going.
  1. Music. Sometimes a song's lyrics is all I need to get a shiny new idea. In fact, I have a few kicking around the ole noggin that have yet to be developed.
  2. Books on craft. Believe it or not, a lot of scene ideas come to me when I'm reading a how to book. When I was revising Phoenix Rising, I was also reading Writing the Breakout Novel. While the things that popped up didn't tie into what I was reading, the nonfiction allowed that other part of my brain to relax from the super tight hold it's usually in.
  3. Exercise. Not that I've done any of it lately, but when I did, it helped. Something about the concentration on form, repetitions, and breathing clear out the brain. Think of it as a reboot with a kick.
  4. Something crafty. I took up crocheting after a two-decade hiatus. Again, focusing on something other than writing lets that part of the brain relax. When your writing brain is all happy, that's when the magic happens.
  5. Free writing. If I'm under the gun and have to get something finished, I don't have the time for numbers two-four*. The stress is upon me and not letting up anytime soon. This is when free writing works for me. It takes between one and two pages before my literary diarrhea gives me anything useful, but when it does... It. Is. Awesome.
What I'm saying is if you need to get your creativity flowing, you need to give your brain something else to do.

Also, do you want a fun summer read? I'm giving away a signed copy of Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance. Go here to enter.

Don't forget to head over to Paper Hangover for more awesome tips on how to get a jump-start on your creativity!

* Sorry, Exercise. I know I have to work you back in somehow. Please send me suggestions on how to help you help me.
____
Last.fm hit of the day: Miss U by Blackfield