Thank goodness Paper Hangover's topic is easy peasy.
Back when the topic was book covers, I mentioned that with books the cover catches my eye more than the title. This doesn't change the fact that sometimes the title does win out. Some examples of purchases based off of title alone are...
- Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging. When I saw this in the YA section of the bookstore, I stopped and stared. The hilarity grabbed my attention right off. The jacket copy totally cemented the purchase.
- The Fuck Up. Saw this at Newbuy Comics and thought, "Best. Title. Ever." It contained my most favorite swear and who doesn't love reading about slackers?
- A Visit from the Goon Squad. Between the title and the cover, I'm totally intrigued. Still haven't read it and despite the reviews and such my brain is still imagining a bunch of DC and Marvel villians are going to run amock.
- Hairstyles of the Damned. I love this title so much I constantly pick up the book. However I never had the urge to complete the purchase transaction.
- The Good, The Bad, and The Undead. While it's the 2nd book in Kim Harrison's Hollows series, it's the one that nabbed my attention enough to pick up Dead Witch Walking.
So while covers rule supreme with attention-grabbing points for yours truly, titles really have to pop. No wonder I have such difficulty titling my own stuff.
Lurkdom, what titles--books or otherwise--have caught your attention as of late?
* Something yours truly is working on, but perhaps with less aid of the caffeine monster.
Last.fm hit of the day: Everything Went Black by The Black Dahlia Murder