Inspirational Shortlist

Every Wednesday, YA Highway asks their readership a simple question to answer on your blog. Once you answer, you link your blog in the comments for other readers to hop on board. This is Road Trip Wednesday.

Today's topic: Who in your life has most inspired your writing?


My knee-jerk response to this is "no one" because this isn't something I actually think about. I've explained before how fan girl crush number one reminds me that age is relative blah blah blah and how Stephen King is a great example of maintain faith in the project that refuses to die, but I've never talked about the IRL factor.

Then I realized that maybe I don't really know what the word "inspiration" means.

Definition courtesy of dictionary.com.
Hm... not exceedingly helpful, Internet, but I'll make due.

In real life, the people who have most inspired my writing is my family*. They supply me with a lot of jumping points for both plot and subplot. Without the whole clan, I seriously doubt my creativity would be as high as it is**.

But Alicia, you're being so freaking vague.
That's because it's Wednesday. If I was to drill down to specifics, it would be pretty simple:
  • My parents for never questioning ANY of my life choices. Especially my mom who as I've gotten older has become increasingly hip and savvy***.
  • Hubby for being a constant cheerleader and being completely cool about me leaving my way-too-stressful-job to complete an overhaul of FALLING TO NORMAL.
  • Danielle for countless hours she's spent going over manuscripts, plot points, and brainstorms with me. She understands my thinking sometimes better than me. Everyone should have a Danielle.

Who inspires you to do the things you do?




* This includes the besties too.
** Not that I'm not a creative person, but there's something to say about DNA.
*** If Middle School or High School Alicia read that, she'd gag.
______
Last.fm hit of the day: Inner Silence by Anathema